Wednesday, March 16, 2005

¿cómo se dice "busy"?

so i haven't posted in a while... some of you may have been concerned about me, but have no worries. i haven't written because things have been so busy here. that's really a bit ironic, i think, seeing as how life here moves so much slower than at home, but nevertheless the days are full... even if i do find the time to take an hour-long nap every now and then.
last weekend i climbed a volcano - volcán de pacaya. it is a small (2500 meters) but active volcano to the south of guatemala city. it was about a two hour hike up. not too bad, but challenging enough for a morning. this weekend, however, i am going to climb volcán de agua, the big volcano south of antigua. agua is not active (or as my brother kevin pointed out, it has just been dormant for a while... it is still, like all volcanos, alive and well deep down inside). so it isn't active, but it is much larger than pacaya (approx. 3500m i think), and will take an estimated 5 hours to summit, and an additional 2 to descend. i may be sore next week, but it will be worth the adventure.
i've been really blessed in my time here to find groups of christians all around me. the other night i literally walked in on an english bible study, and they welcomed me to the group. and in my school, on tuesday mornings during our break there is an english bible study. i actually got to share a passage and sort of lead the discussion yesterday. and there is an english worship service on thursday nights that i have gone to twice. the body of Christ is an amazing thing, and it is a blessing to go to foreign parts of the world and find people who take you in as family. and it's not true only of those who speak english. i have visited 2 spanish-speaking churches where i felt just as welcomed and just as loved. the love of God knows no language boundaries.
last week i also took a test to graduate from grado A to grado B in my school. i have to say, grado B is a lot harder than A. there are lots more verbs with lots more exceptions. but this too shall pass.
oh, and one last thing. last night i was going to meet some friends to go to a movie in a restaurant, so i told thelma that i didn't need much food for dinner, just some bread and tea. when i came down for dinner, she set a plate in front of me and on the plate was the best surprise in my time here.... cheesetoast! and to top it off, she sat down beside me and began breaking green beans. it almost felt like home. :-)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool kently! especialy the volcano. i'm just a bit perturbed that your now speaking in meters. :) have fun!

3/16/2005 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well! It's sounds like you're definitely adjusting very well to foreign life. You've gotten past the first couple weeks that we talked about, and it sounds like you're really adjusting. And, I totally agree that the body of Christ is amazing sometimes! The volcanoes sound very cool... we're hoping to see some of those as well in a couple months in The Rica! Maybe we'll go for a swim in the lava :).
~kristi

3/16/2005 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheese toast! I love it! And the breaking of the beans couldn't have topped it off better! I am still smiling about that! (and thinking about how many times you ate cheese toast at my house) Miss you and love you!

Carole

3/16/2005 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kent, what a blessing it is to hear that our prayers are answered for you and the wonderful family you share there..the one you live with and the one you share your Lord with. Cheese toast and green beans! Too much!

3/16/2005 10:43 PM  
Blogger Brantly said...

That is cool kent! I thought that u were going to say that she gave you a big dinner! I bet the green-been-shelling made u feel right at home!!

Brantly (your nephew)

3/17/2005 7:43 PM  
Blogger Malaysian Debster said...

Hey Kent!

It's Debbie and Josue here. We miss you, but in the meantime really enjoy reading about your adventure through your blogs. I bet by now your Spanish is anytime better than mine, and I live with a Spanish-speaking husband who hardly ever speaks to me in Spanish! =) May God continue to bless you during your wonderful time there. (Climbing the volcano sounds nuts, but fun anyhow!)

3/19/2005 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just found this interesting blog about medical school and whatnot. i thought it looked promising. i noticed you were interested in medical school. give it a peek.

hospitalramblings.blogspot.com

3/19/2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

Breaking green beans...that makes me miss your home too! I still think of all that I learned from your mom. What a woman!

I would LOVE to see some pictures of everything you're experiencing there, though your word pictures are great! I am not surprised that you're making friends and receiving welcome with so many different groups. You're just that kind of guy! An everyman :). I was in a Family Christian store lastnight and thought of you. I was checking out the bible section and found a Spanish/English translation. I remember you blogging about buying one. I'm sure it's been very helpful to you. So, I've decided that everytime I see or read my own Bible I'm going to say a prayer for you, your safety, your learning, your witness, and your willingness to go. I love you my brother! Keep posting!

9 days 'til moving day! We're excited! Benny says Hi!

3/19/2005 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kent! this is lauryn (diaz) carr - wow, i'm so excited that you're at CSA!! i spent two weeks there last year, and it was the most incredible experience i've ever had. the only thing that could have made it better was if joe had been with me :) anyway, we were in tx last week and met up with chad and elisa for dinner one night. they said you were at language school in guatemala, and i was so anxious to read your postings on it! i also "hiked" the volcano - hard to breathe up there with all the sulfer, huh? we were also able to go to lake antichlan on the weekend "excursion" which is very much worth the $ if you have the time to do it. one thing i haven't seen you mention: salsa lessons! there should be a flier for it in the little office at the entrance of CSA. we went almost every afternoon after class :)
i'm so pleased that your experience in antigua is going so well. it was my first time to be in a foreign country without being on a "mission trip" and yet i experienced God more in those two weeks than i ever have on a foreign mission. God is so Big.
Blessings to you Kent!

3/24/2005 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kent! This is Mandy (Rutledge) now Koiner. I got this website from Jacque! Sounds like you are having lots of fun! Jacque said that sometimes you hear from Dearing. Please tell her hello from me! I'll be praying for your work out there!
Mandy
(ambr817@yahoo.com)

5/18/2005 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home