Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Moment You've All Been Waiting For

Many of you have been asking me for weeks or even months, and the answer has always been "I don't know yet." Well, friends, the time has come. The decision has been made. The medical shools made their offers, and the winner is....
(drum roll please)
Indiana University School of Medicine!!! (whistles and cheers are appropriate)
Some of you may be disappointed in this decision, while many of you, I'm sure, are exstatic about this news. Personally, I am at peace with the decision and excited about the next 5 years in Indy. It will be good to be at home, seeing as how I've been gone for the last 5 years. And for my friends who live in other parts of the country, you can look at it as another destination for a road trip - because truth be told, we all know I probably won't be taking many road trips for the next 5 years or so, so you'll just have to come visit me.

In other news, life in Guatemala has been full for the last month (which is the last time I updated this blog). I could write a lot of my reflections on events of the past month, but that may need to wait for another time. That sort of thing deserves it's own post, anyway, rather than being tied into the great news that you just read above.
Sadly, my friends from the last 7 weeks are beginning to trickle out of Antigua and move on to greener pastures. This morning my friend Laurie packed her bags and took off to parts unknown. She has been a good friend for the last 7 weeks and has been encouraging to me in many ways. Thanks, Laurie. We'll all miss you.
Such is life in a language school. People come and go. Friendships form quickly. And just as quickly, they slip away... hopefully not fully, but who knows if or when you might see these people again? Needless to say, this departure of friends (Rafael and his Grandmother leave tomorrow) doesn't help much with the homesickness. Today has been kind of rough so far. Not only do you think about your friends who won't be around any more, but you realize that they are returning to their homes, to their normal lives, to their friends and family, and you realize that you still have more than a month of being here... without your family, without your old friends, and now without your new friends.
The good news is, new people show up every monday. And they need new friends, too. So while the old new friends can't be replaced, more will come along to walk this path with me. And before I know it, the end of May will be here and I won't be ready to leave my new new friends and my Guatemalan family.
But I prefer not to dwell on that idea either.
Thanks for listening. Thanks for praying. Thanks for writing.
Check back soon for some reflections on the work of God all around me.
hasta luego

6 Comments:

Blogger Brantly said...

Hey Kent!!
Sounds like u r having a good time in Guatamala! Did u get my postcard yet? Congrats in ur medical school dicision! I baught harry potter 3!
Brantly

4/20/2005 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kent! Finally--a new blog!!! I was very happy to hear from you today. I keep looking for a new post from you. Congratulations on your medical school decision. I know that is a weight lifted--just like when you were deciding where to go to college. :-) We are all fine and very busy too. Grandparent's Day/jog-a-thon are on Friday (4/22). Kendall's leg is healing nicely and she is hobbling around everywhere. She has even been on the trampoline--JUMPING! She may get her cast off on Monday. If not then, probably the following Monday. Brantly has learned to play the bells in band--and he's good at it even though he doesn't want to be. Callie lives to play ball with her friends. :-) Du is just hanging in there with work. I am doing my best to keep my head above water while keeping up with all of them. I miss you and love you! We look forward to a week with you in June!
Love,
Carole

4/20/2005 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Christina. It's great to hear that you're still alive! And congrats on med school!!!!! While I do wish selfishly that Columbia was the final choice . . . I know that IU will be great for you. Bloomington? Good luck. How much time left in Guatemala?

4/21/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger The Future said...

I guess I should be happy... :D But Indiana is a long ways away. Oh well. I'm glad you'll be a MD and some day we might can go do Medical Missions together. Well, you and Mel. I come along for the ride!!

I think that's awesome you'll be in Indiana, actually. Took me a few seconds to get used to it. Get on the iBook Video Chat every once in a while!

Z

4/21/2005 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the decision! Indiana is lucky to have you! Actually, I don't think I've ever been to Indiana... it'll be a good reason to come see a state that I'd never had any interest in visiting before :).
~Kristi

4/21/2005 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kent,
I'm so proud you were able to make a decision, but very sad you won't be back in Texas... :(
So what's going on in Guatemala?
Miss you and praying for you.
Amber Joy

4/22/2005 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home